Friday, May 13, 2011

I had a taste...

Yesterday, and part of today, Blogger was down. I couldn't get into My Account or my Dashboard. I couldn't post. I occurs to me how that one little irritation is just a taste of what will begin to disappear from my life as oil supplies diminish. I was face to face with my impatience and frustration.

That was small stuff. As Eckhart Tolle says, "When survival is threatened by seemingly insurmountable problems, an individual human - or a species - will either die or become extinct or rise above their limitations with an evolutionary leap. This is the state of humanity now, and this is its challenge."

I vote for evolutionary leap. How about you?

It was at a performance in Berkeley, CA, that I first heard the poem, A Summer Day, by Mary Oliver. There was one line that burned itself into my heart: “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” As the full meaning of that thought exploded in my mind, I experienced a sensation that I now recognize as a fight or flight response. My heart was pounding, my breath was shallow, and something in me knew that everything had changed. When knowing comes with that kind of physical response there is no way back. The truth cannot be un-learned. It has taken up residence in the body and a new course is set.

Tell me, what will you do? I think I'll look into that evolutionary leap.

1 comment:

  1. “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” .... one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete