Sunday, July 17, 2011

Your Planet Needs YOU!

             I remember a poster from a long time ago: Your Country Needs YOU! It was a picture of Uncle Sam with a long index finger pointing at...who, ME? Personally, I am not enticed by that image! We need something current, compelling, more indicative of the times, something that reflects the call to action that I experienced last night.
            Securing our bikes, my daughter and I entered a room buzzing with energy. Paul spotted us immediately and rushed over with generous welcoming hugs. (Paul Thompson is a climate change activist and the friendliest soul imaginable. We met him two nights ago at yoga and he already feels like family!) This was our introduction to Moving Planet and the people who are organizing the September 24th global event in Minnesota. In keeping with Minnesota tradition, it included a potluck dinner. But this potluck bore little resemblance to the traditional tuna casserole and jell-o variety!
            The program began and the well thought out approach to a huge undertaking was unveiled. Moving Planet (great name!) is a global day of action to get moving beyond fossil fuels and toward clean, green solutions for stabilizing our climate. The event will gather thousands of people at the state capitol on Sept. 24, and all are invited to join! The conversations moved back and forth discussing our dreams for the world and intersections with other issues. I was put in mind of the linked issues of our climate and our fuel use. As I listened to these men and women speak with passion and purpose about ways to get the attention of the decision-makers in this country, my heart filled with a joyful gratitude.
It was only a few months ago that I happened to read an article about peak oil in a magazine. Okay, it was a fashion magazine! I don’t usually read fashion magazines, but the article caught my attention and it was the only reading material available to me at that moment. Appalled at how little I knew about the subject, I began searching online for more information. I was unprepared for the dire severity of the facts I uncovered. Fueled by a little knowledge and starved for more, I began reading books, many books, to educate myself as quickly and thoroughly as possible. The more information I consumed the more incredulous I became. Why, I wondered, isn’t this THE topic of all conversations all of the time? So I began blogging about what I was reading and searching for connections with others who share my concerns.
That is why I was deeply moved tonight to be in that room of 50 or so people. The message was clear: all of us are needed to accomplish the task at hand on September 24. But our individual gifts and skills are even more essential to sustain the movement going forward. We can be a part of something that matters. Our planet needs us. We CAN get involved, all of us, and really make a difference!               

No comments:

Post a Comment